Grilled turkey burgers with spinach, red pepper, black olive and feta salad
Updated: 06/13/2012 07:59 AM
By: Chef Dan Eaton
• 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey meat
• salt and pepper
• 1 Tbs finely minced garlic
• 1 Tbs finely minced fresh rosemary
• 3-4 Tbs olive oil
• 4 burger buns
For the salad:
• 2-3 cups julienne fresh spinach
• 1/4 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
• 1/4-1/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers
• 1/3-1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
• 1-2 Tbs olive oil
• 1 Tbs lemon juice (optional)
1. Combine 1 Tbs each finely minced garlic and finely minced rosemary with 3-4 Tbs olive oil in a small mixing bowl.
2. Shape the ground meat into 4 equal size patties about 1 1/2-inches thick, season those with salt and pepper.
3. Pour half of the garlic-rosemary mix onto a plate, top that with the burgers. Rub the rest of the marinade on top and place the plate into the fridge for about 1/2 hour.
4. Make sure you wash your hands really well after handling the raw turkey meat and, while the burgers are in the fridge, make the salad.
5. Use a knife to julienne 2-3 cups of fresh spinach leaves, add those to a mixing bowl and add 1/4 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives, 1/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper, 1/3 - 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese. Add a little olive oil and squeeze a little lemon juice into it and toss to combine.
6. You want the grill to be nice and hot and you'll want to brush the grates down before adding the burgers.
7. Be careful flipping them over, they might stick a little bit to the grill, and you'll probably have to flip them back and forth a couple of times as you are cooking them all the way through to an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
8. Serve them up on a bun of your choice with a nice spoonful of the salad right on top.
HINTS: This recipe makes fairly thick burgers. You could make them thinner if you like to serve 6 instead of 4, just make a larger salad while you're at it.
Back to list