Protest group granted permits to hold pre-DNC rally
Updated: Updated 05/30/2012 12:57 PM
By: News 14 Carolina Web Staff
CHARLOTTE – Protest organizers who want their voices to be heard during the Democratic National Convention are claiming a victory Wednesday after receiving permission to march through the city in September.
The group says it filed the proper permit paperwork months ago. Earlier this week, they also gave city officials petitions containing more than 1,000 names asking the city to approve their plans for a protest.
The group received word late Tuesday afternoon that their permit request had been granted.
“After more than eight months of contacting the city over and over again, filing multiple requests for permits and being run through bureaucratic hoops and given the runaround by the city and being put through all these delay tactics, it's very exciting to announce this important victory," said Ben Carroll, of the Coalition to March on Wall Street South.
The coalition also presented a petition to the mayor's office asking for a clear permitting process and for the repeal of city ordinances that violate civil liberties.
Their protest is scheduled for Sept. 2. The convention is set to begin Sept. 4.
Back to list