RALEIGH — Governor Beverly Perdue is vetoing the Republican budget bill for the second year in a row.
Gov. Perdue announced her decision Friday on the budget adjustments for the coming year that has been on her desk since last week. Perdue had until Sunday evening to veto the bill, sign it, or let it become law without her signature.
However, Gov. Perdue said she believes there is still time for a compromise.
"I want this budget to pass, I want to invest more in our children. I am asking them once more to come back to Raleigh and work with me. You know me I will never stop fighting for North Carolina's children and their future. I am hopeful that the General Assembly will roll up their sleeves and join me in that effort. The bottom-line is We the People of North Carolina deserve that kind of bi-partisan effort to solve the challenge to make our state better," said Perdue.
The governor said there is an additional $117 million in revenue this year that could be used to help several areas including public schools. Gov. Perdue has complained for weeks about the $20 billion-plus plans approved by the Republican-led Legislature.
Lawmakers got help from five House Democrats to cancel her budget veto last year.