Updated 04/02/2012 05:40 PM
Identities of speedway motorcycle crash victims released
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
CONCORD -- Police have released the names of the two motorcyclists killed in a wreck at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Thomas Hollingsworth, 71, collided with Alan Mockus, 66, as the Vietnam Veterans Homecoming Celebration was wrapping up Saturday. Mockus' passenger, Deborah Mockus, 56, is still in the hospital. All are from out-of-state.
Witnesses said they were going close to 80 mph near the top of the track between turns one and two.
"To be above the white line in those curves, you've got to be going over 70 mph just to stay on the track," said Jeff Phillips, president of the Rolling Thunder's Statesville chapter.
He took part in Saturday's ride and says the three involved aren't part of their group or the Patriot Guard.
"It does make the event, to some degree look bad, but it had nothing to do with the event," said Phillips. "It was people showboating, in my opinion."
A month before Saturday's ride, organizers sent out guidelines to all registered groups, stating where they could go and how fast. Phillips said those guidelines help ensure safety at all large events.
"We do a ride every year in Washington and last year we had some 90,000 motorcyclists, no accidents," said Phillips.
In response, Charlotte Motor Speedway issued this statement saying:
We regret the unfortunate loss of life at the end of a great day of celebration for our Vietnam Veterans. We are cooperating fully with the Concord Police Department investigation.
From our initial review, it appears that proper safety procedures regarding the motorcycle procession entry and exit were in place.
Unfortunately, one reckless incident brought about a sad ending to an otherwise wonderful day of tribute for American heroes.
Our most sincere, heartfelt condolences go out to the families touched by this accident.