Wake Co. school assignment debate continues
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
CARY, N.C. -- More changes could be ahead for the Wake County Schools assignment plan. The Wake School Board is expected to vote Tuesday on moving back to a student assignment plan for 2013 that promotes diversity and assigns every address to a specific school.
It's been a hot button topic and the center of controversy for more than two years. The student assignment plan that's aimed at giving parents a say in where their students will go to school has left many confused and some frustrated. Now there's talk the school assignment could revert back to its original "student diversity policy."
The News and Observer reports the new proposed plan would convert the choice-driven assignment plan going into effect this fall back to the previous address-based plan. Many believe the original plan encouraged diversity in each school.
"I have heard from many, many, many families that were happier with some type of residence-based assignment because at least they had a default and knew what they could rely on," said Wake County School Board member Susan Evans.
Over the past few months, parents have been receiving their children's assignments for the upcoming year and though Superintendent Tony Tata stands by the choice plan, it continues to get mixed reviews.
"So far, the plan worked because they don't have the mandatory reassignments of thousands of students," said Michael Alves, the creator of the choice assignment plan.
In July 2010, the elimination of the diversity policy sparked protests, arrests and an ongoing federal civil rights investigation.
Tuesday's school board meeting begins at 3:30 p.m.