CHARLOTTE – By a 6-5 vote, the Charlotte City Council rejected a nearly $2 billion budget proposal Monday night.
Much of the discussion centered around the fact that the budget plan would have increased the property tax rate by 8 percent, which would have paid for a $926 million capital program to improve neighborhoods across the city.
The majority of council members said they couldn't support the tax increase, saying there is still pain out there for city residents, especially after last year's property revaluation.
"I'm fighting for those little old ladies that are out there too, and the veterans, the older veterans, and the younger veterans coming home that are buying their first home or getting married and starting their families, and I want to make it so they want to live here. I don't want to make it so they jump across to Fort Mill," council member Andy Dulin said.
Mayor Anthony Foxx called the decision irresponsible, and said if they can't get a budget with six votes, the city is in trouble.
"This is exactly what I didn't want us to get into, which is making these motions from the floor and seeing ourselves go through a process that we could've fixed over the past several weeks," Foxx said.
A new proposal is expected to come up for a vote on June 25. A budget must be approved by June 30.