SERVES: Makes 10 tacos
• 1 pkg (10) corn taco shells
• 1/2 cup finely diced onion
• 1 Tb vegetable oil for sautéing onion
• 1 large clove garlic, minced
• 1 pound lean ground beef
• 2 Tbs chili powder
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1/4 tsp ground cayenne (or more to taste)
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• 1 tsp kosher salt (or 1/2 tsp table salt)
• 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-1/2-inch dice
• Corn from 1 large ear corn (approx. 1 cup)
• 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
• Juice of 1/2 lime (or 1 Tbs cider vinegar)
• 1/4 cup water
• Shredded lettuce, diced tomato and grated Mexican blend or cheddar cheese for serving
1. Add a splash of vegetable oil to a large sauté pan on medium high heat and sauté a generous 1/2 cup finely diced onion until it has softened up a bit.
2. At that point, add 1 large minced clove of garlic and 1 pound lean ground beef, add 2 Tbs chili powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/4 tsp ground cayenne, 1/2 tsp oregano and 1 tsp salt and stir that together and break the meat up.
3. Once the meat has cooked through, add 1 small, finely diced zucchini and the corn from 1 large ear of corn, then add 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce, the juice of 1/2 lime and about 1/4 cup water, stir everything together and let that cook down and thicken up.
4. Then all that is left is to divide it up into corn taco shells and top each one with shredded lettuce, diced tomato and grated Mexican blend cheese.
HINTS: Serve with bottled taco sauce on the table if you like.