• 3 lbs of potatoes
• 4 large eggs
• 10 large spears of asparagus
• 1/2 cup sweet onion
• 1/2 lb smoked ham
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 1 tbs Dijon mustard
• Fresh chopped mint
1. You'll need to plan ahead and boil your potatoes and hard boil the eggs. It's a good idea to cook the potatoes whole so they don't get soggy before cooling and cutting them into cubes.
2. This recipe uses three pounds of potatoes and four large eggs and, for that amount, 10 large spears of asparagus.
3. Cut the tougher bottom ends off of the asparagus and then cut the spears crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices. Steam them in a little bit of water in a pan on the stovetop on high heat with a lid on top.
4. Once the water comes to a boil it'll only take a minute to cook the asparagus. Next, run cold water over the spears to cool and then drain them really well in a colander in the sink.
5. Cut the cooked potatoes into 1/2-3/4 inch cubes and then add about 1/2 cup finely diced sweet onion, 1/2 pound diced smoked deli ham, the chopped hard-cooked eggs, about 1/2 cup mayonnaise to start and a generous tablespoon of Dijon mustard. Toss to combine.
6. Add more mayonnaise if you need to, then add the well-drained asparagus and a handful of chopped mint. Season with salt and pepper for taste and gently fold those things together.
7. Make sure you keep the salad cold until it's time to eat.