Have a question about a recipe?
• 2 small Russet potatoes
• 8 large eggs
• 4-ounces smoked salmon (see hints below)
• 3-4-ounces cream cheese
• 1/4 small red onion, thinly chopped
• 3-4 Tbs fresh chopped dill
• black pepper for garnish (optional)
• more chopped dill for garnish (optional)
• country toast
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. For one 10-inch, heavy bottomed nonstick saute pan, peel two small Russet potatoes and cut those into 1/2-inch cubes and cook them in just enough water to cover until they're cooked through but not soft.
3. Chop about 3-4 Tbs fresh dill and thinly chop about 1/4 small red onion, thinly slice 3-4 ounces cream cheese, chop about 4-ounces of sliced smoked salmon and whisk 8 large eggs in a mixing bowl.
4. Drain the potatoes really well through a colander in the sink when they're just cooked through.
5. While those are draining, add a splash of olive oil to the 10-inch nonstick pan on medium high heat and saute the red onion to soften.
6. And then, at that point, add the cooked potato and stir in the chopped fresh dill, and then add the beaten eggs and let it cook for a minute or two like that.
7. After the eggs have been cooking along for 2 minutes, sprinkle on the chopped smoked salmon and lay the sliced cream cheese over the top and pop it into the oven to finish cooking, it will take 10-15 minutes.
8. Then slice it and serve it with a crack of black pepper and country toast on the side.
HINTS: Substitute chopped smoked deli ham for the salmon if you like.
: Chef Dan Eaton spent his early years on a dairy farm in Vermont where he developed a fondness for foods "straight from the land." Cooking seasonally was more of a necessity then but Dan still finds local ingredients, in season, a driving force behind his menu creations.