Have a question about a recipe?
SERVES: 8 as a side
• 4 cups peeled grated or shredded carrots (approx. 5-6 medium large carrots)
• 1 15-ounce well drained can chick peas
• 1/2 cup rough chopped parsley
• 1/2-1 cup crumbled feta cheese
For the dressing:
• 1 large lemon, juiced
• 3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
• 1 small clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
• 1 Tbs light brown sugar
• 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• salt and pepper to taste
1. Squeeze the juice of 1 large lemon through a mesh strainer into a large mixing bowl and then add 3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil, 1 small finely minced clove of garlic, 1 Tbs light brown sugar and 1/2 tsp ground cumin. Then add a little salt and pepper to taste and whisk it up.
2. You can use a food processor with a shredder attachment to shred the peeled carrots or use an old fashioned box grater to grate the carrots right into the bowl with the dressing.
3. Add 1/2 cup rough chopped parsley and 1 well drained 15-ounce can of chick peas and toss everything to coat.
4. Adjust the seasonings to taste and, if you're not serving it right away, keep it cold in the fridge, and then, just before serving fold in about 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese and it is good to go.
HINTS: Use honey instead of brown sugar if you like.
: Chef Dan Eaton spent his early years on a dairy farm in Vermont where he developed a fondness for foods "straight from the land." Cooking seasonally was more of a necessity then but Dan still finds local ingredients, in season, a driving force behind his menu creations.