Iceberg wedge with shrimp, bacon and creamy avocado-herb dressing
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
• Iceberg lettuce
• Hard-cooked eggs
• Cocktail shrimp
• 1/2 ripe avocado
• 1/2 cup plain yogurt
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 1 garlic clove
• 1/4 cup chopped chives
• 1/4 cup parsley leaves
• 2 Tbs chopped mint
• Grape tomatoes
• White vinegar
1. Iceberg lettuce will be used to make a salad with shrimp, bacon, hard-cooked eggs, grape tomatoes and a creamy avocado-herb dressing.
2. Hard cooking the eggs a bit ahead of time is an option, as is using ready-to-go cocktail shrimp ,instead of sauteing raw shrimp like in this recipe.
3. Use a blender or a food processor to make the dressing and crisp the bacon up in a large saute pan.
4. Add half of a ripe avocado the food processor with 1/2 cup each plain yogurt and mayonnaise. Then add one small clove of garlic and 1/4 cup each chopped chives and parsley leaves. Add two Tbs chopped mint and puree everything.
5. Then, at that point, add a couple Tbs of white vinegar or even tarragon vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste, puree it for another minute and it is good to go.
6. Drain the bacon on paper towels when it is nice and crisp and pour off some of the bacon fat if necessary and then saute the shrimp in the same pan until it is just cooked through.
7. Once the shrimp are done, it is time to assemble the salads.
8. Place a wedge of iceberg lettuce on the plate and spoon a generous amount of the dressing over the top and around that. Next, add a sliced, hard-cooked egg, if applicable, and add some sliced grape tomatoes. Then add some of the shrimp and crumble a couple of pieces of crispy bacon over the top to finish.